Monday, August 4, 2008

Deep in the HEART of BLUE DEVIL country......

Well in the midst of back to school excitement, one of the Pee-Wee football coaches went by Hoss' dad's house to let them know football conditioning is under way, Hoss was nothing but excited, well I think in his mind conditioning meant something along the lines of air conditioning. Tonight was his very first practice, now at this point they aren't mandatory, because sign up isn't until next weekend. So we show up and he runs out there and meets his coach and I sat in the truck thinking..."Wow, He is going to be playing football, he is growing up way to dang fast!" and as much as I wanted to run out there and grab him up and tell him forget football, your still a baby, I didn't I just sat and watched.

Now I love football as much as the next gal (assuming she a Sooner Football FANatic), but here in southern Oklahoma (or probably the south in general) football is EVERYTHING, now Hoss has never had a dream of being a lineman for OU but I have had that dream a time or two. Hoss' love is more baseball then any other sport, so he was a little shocked tonight.

The coaches sort of expected him to jump off in there and follow suit, but he has no idea what a boot run is, or OSKEY or whatever they boys were yelling when they intercepted the ball. OSKEY= I have intercepted the ball so someone cover me before I get plowed into the turf. Well Hoss didn't learn this until the coach screamed it into his direction ( I will not say face, because the coach was not really close enough to be in his face, but I think from the tone, the coach wanted to be IN HIS FACE) but as for me, I was jumping up and down because Hoss caught the ball.

When they were running around theese orange cones, Hoss in all his grace (he SO gets this from me) while sprinting backwards, he fell, he did hop back up and finish the little orange cone course like he was suppose to, but the other boys were kinda giggling, this is where Hoss starts to cry (again he gets this from me), so the rest of his practice was spent crying, but he never stopped, he did everything they screamed for him to do, he may of not did it the way they wanted him to do it, but he did it, he was the slowest at sprinting down the field, but he didn't stop until he crossed the finish line, so he did exactly what I expect of him, he did his best!

So our first practice ended with the coach telling him to get out in the yard with someone who knows something about football, so we need to find a football tutor now, but hey that's okay too.

I could care less if my child is the best on the team, because to me he already is the best, but what I do expect of him is to be the child on the team that tries his best, so regardless of how many tears fell from his beautiful blue eyes tonight, but he did exactly that, he tried his best!

No comments: